Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Romance With Books -1

Whenever I pass by a bookstore, I recall the days when I was struggling to collect a decent library. That was long ago, when five pesos could buy you a brand new, hardbound copy of your favorite book. So when I was in college, I often dreamed of a house with bookshelves reaching from floor to ceiling, with all the books printed with my ex libries. Being poor and subsisting academically only on scholarship, the dream had a long way reaching reality. By the time I got my degree, I had a few pocketbooks, though. I was penniless and now unemployed. I sought the help of our dean. I quite humbly (for I had in the past caused him trouble), that I needed a teaching job soon or I would perish in the unsafe world. I was hoping a position in the faculty of my own college. He nodded his white haired head and told me to come back in a week’s time. When I went back to him on the appointed day, he gave me a letter of recommendation to a far university. I thanked him but refused the letter and left at once, hardly containing my irritation. I suspected he wanted to exile me to that violent no-man’s island as self-punishment for all the grief I had caused him.

A few days later I bumped into a former classmate who was then a teacher at the near university where I should supposed to teach. He told me stories of his nice life in that mountain city that made me mouth water. She said I could join of it if I liked; all I had to do was send an application to the dean and he would check for me. I did and he did. Out of complete ignorance, I miscalculated my journey’s time and arrived at the bus station in the evening. My teeth chattered in the cold. I could not afford a hotel room. The only way is to stay in a station. I noticed two clerks in the dispatcher’s office engaged in a game of chess. To pass away my hunger, I went in and silently watched them. It was a nearing midnight when they finished. I went to lie down on a bench. I hardly slept that night. I noticed only one other fellow there who could not afford a hotel room. I felt safe in that huge corner whose embrace was the first hospitable welcome I had in that city.

more in next post..........

18 comments:

linda said...

I love books Pari. I have many in our library at home. You got a nice story there in your article "A Romance With Books-1". I'm sure the second part is more interesting. I'm eager to finished this part 1 of your article. I wanted to finished the part 2 soon.

Dina said...

Amazing articles you have published there Pari. Where did you get the topic of all your article. I love to read books. When I saw the title of yur article, I didn't hesitate to start reading it at once. It has a good value.

Leah said...

Hi Pari,

You know I love to read books also like you. It's pleasant to read it. I have read all you articles in your blog and it's very interesting. I have learned lessons from your article. Keep it up. It's very nice.

lani said...

I love reading books. I'm crazy about it. That's why my easy pinned in here. It's wonderful your article is Pari. It has a story. As if you are not a writer, you are a story teller. I love your style.

jane said...

Hello Pari,
I have notice now that four women have read your article. And i'm the fifth. Your article is really romancing. It finds irresistable not to passed by here and read it. MORE?

jane_smith said...

I like your article Pari. I want to take some of your style, because I am also writing but i don's have a blog like you. Someday i will create my own blog. And you will be my inspiration when ever i write an article. It's very remarkable for me.

conrad said...

Hello Pari,
I don't much in reading this kind of article. But with yours it's really far-fetched. How did you do it? Do you have some guidelines here. Did you know that if you keep on writing this way, you will have many followers. Consider me one Pari!!

sandy said...

My day is empty without reading books. I think I have a clue. With your article “A Romance in Books,” sounds thrilling and appealing to read. And it is!!!!!!!!

rachel said...

When I needed something to read, your article were there. When I am bored………no, no, no………I don’t get bored with your articles like here now…”A Romance in Books”. It’s attention-grabbing.

Unknown said...

Can I say I’m satisfied with your article today? If not, can I asked that again tomorrow? And the day after tomorrow? Because I’ll keep on saying everyday that you really have an understandable and precise articles.

Billy said...

A piece of writing is a document that needs to be read to find its inner meaning….yours is one of the best ever written.

helen said...

It is cheerful way for me to continue doing what I have been doing long time. I love to read the articles on your blog. It made me feel that i am fulfilled.

liza said...

If you don’t get what you want, you will feel empty, but all I can say is that I get all what I want in the articles which you have published in your blog..

Unknown said...

I know I can trust your articles. I gave confidence to myself when I came across with your blog.

abby said...

If I am in my dull moment, I know i need a hand, I just visit your blog and I read your articles, then the feeling of dullness is gone. I’m satisfied whenever I read something there.

Ester said...

Good blog is like comforter... it never loses its warmth...with your article I feel warm with all those words. You have an interesting articles. And I’m sure all of it has its deep meaning.

kristine said...

If i want to be happy for a day, I get a date. A date with your blog.  I’m sure I will be full.

gellie said...

How can you think this kind of article. It's nice to read. I like it.