Friday, August 29, 2008

Baskets and Textiles


In the world’s new interest in crafts and collectibles two items have come to the fore: baskets and textiles. Ironically, the advance of technology has brought people back to the primary crafts as items of concern and care.

The many different peoples and their divergent lifestyles have given the craft a multitude of unusual and specialized forms. The union of these forms with selected materials to create useful tools has put the users into a unique relationship with their environment. The baskets utilize the natural materials of the environment, as in the case of fish traps and creels, to build the ethic and style of a culture. The true appreciation of a basket as a work of skill and artistry comes with its use. However, a layman can analyze the union of a selected materials with all its inherent characteristics and see that it is unquestionably suited to a particular form and use.

When one looks carefully at the fold basketry of the Philippines, one can always notice the care with which the gauge of the material is scaled to the size of the basket. To too, the finishing details such as the fit of a cover, the insertion of a handle, the use of a natural lock, all evidence the eye of master craftsmen who take pride in their work.

There is a logic to the use of light natural materials in basketry. The form created satisfy the demands of heavy work, repair ability and flexibility. Good baskets don’t just happen, they are carefully planned. It remains for the general public to develop the discerning eye that will appreciate the details of form and construction.


ref: agentswebworld, insurance software, insurance crm,




7 comments:

letty said...

Half of my pleasure when I’m not doing anything is when I’m reading. I love to read. I came across with your blog and I found it more appealing than any other. I hope that will be evenmore.

Unknown said...

If I am in my dull moment, I know i need a hand, I just visit your blog and I read your articles, then the feeling of dullness is gone. I’m satisfied whenever I read something there.

matilda said...

The only good thing about your own article, is that it give them smile in their face.

ryan said...

YOU got style, YOU got the intelligence of writing and that’s made me sure that I’m going to stay in your blog, coz I’ve learned many things.

conrad said...

We have a product of textiles in our place. That's why i read your article about it. Keep it up.

Pari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lani said...

If you have an idea, can you share us how to make a basket? I want to know.....