Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Memories and Family Practice

Call it your family tradition, ritual, or practice. Traditions that families do together can act as a thread to weave them closer to each other. When effort is exerted to uphold and continue doing these activities, the more meaningful these tradition can be and the more treasured they become among family members.

Memories are then build of the treasured moments spent together. In some families, it can take the form of going on trips during weekends or holidays, celebrating occasions, cooking or baking together, engaging in sports, telling stories, and the list could go on. In contrast, changes in the family’s routine or usual practices ma possibly indicate changes in family structure and even breakdown in communication or conflict between members.


There is a certain security and warmth that emanates from being with family and doing a specific activity together at a specific time. Strong ties may result from these practices and the same traditions may be handed on from one generation to the next. In families who love cooking and baking, recipes of the older generation are treasured and passed on to the younger ones.

I have a friend whose family books a room at a certain hotel while visiting their extended family for the holidays. They stayed at the same hotel for several years. When my friend one time suggested to try another place, her children were horrified at the thought of breaking their ritual and exclaimed, “But mom, it’s tradition!”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone is entitled to be intelligent, and that everyone knows what good article is or not. You have good one. I love to read it.

randy said...

If you don’t get what you want, you will feel empty, but all I can say is that I get all what I want in the articles which you have published in your blog.. It’s nice.

abby said...

It takes time to find good article & keeping them. I am lucky to have spent my time finding yours & assured to spend the rest keep reading on it.

martha said...

A ring is round and has no end, that's how long I'll be patronizing your articles in your blog!!! Good sense I found there.

kristine said...

Your blog open up my day, but it’s not a window. Your article make me smile, but it’s not a clown. Your article warm my mind, but it’s not a soup. Your have a high quality of articles, and that’s very clear!!

gina said...

What are the differences between a peso and an blog? A peso is easy to earn, a good blog is hard to find. A peso loses its value, a special blog increases its worth. I don't have a peso but I have your blog to read!!!!

natalie said...

Someday I may lose my hair, my teeth, my looks, or even my memory. But there's something I won't lose. Your blog… 

Joseph said...

Just a note to say a word that you are putting theory in reality. I found it a great practice.