Friday, December 18, 2009

Worry-free Holidays (1 of 2)

Christmas is a time for spreading cheer and handing out gifts, but advice comes in handy too during this happy season. Here are answers to a few simple questions that may make your holidays truly worry-free:

Q: I am new at the office where I work as an Executive Secretary. I have been made to understand that it is de rigueur around here for secretaries to vie gifts to their bosses. Do you have any gift ideas that would be simple and practical enough, and yet fit a secretary a budget?

A: since you are his secretary, and are in contact with him practically the whole day, you yourself are in the best position to decide what gift would be most suited to your boss. Two rules to remember: One, do not give anything intimate, like an article of clothing. Your relationship with your boss is not personal, and it would not be appropriate for him to receive personal gifts from you. He could misconstrue this as an “invitation”. Rule number two: Practical, usable gifts are better. A tin of his favorite ground coffee or biscuits never fails, and does not cost too much either. Other choices would be a book he has always wanted to read, or a cassette tape of his favorite classical music.

Q: If an officemate or friend gives me a gift, am I obliged to give one in return?

A: Only if you can afford it. if you can’t,, a sincere, handwritten note of thanks wishing the giver a “Merry Christmas” will be much appreciated.

Q: My husband and I have been invited to have Christmas dinner at my in-laws’ place. My sisters-in-law, who are all very good cooks, have volunteered to handle the cooking chores. Since I’m not as good a cook as they are, what can I contribute to the dinner so I’m not left out?

A: Offer to handle some of the non-cooking chores, like calling up other guests to remind them, decorating and fixing up the place, or handling the marketing. Bu offering to help them this way, you save them time that they can use to complete other, more important tasks. Believe me, your efforts will be just as appreciated.

Q: I’ll be hosting a party at home for some close friends. could you give me some quick and inexpensive decorating tips? I plan to have the party outdoors, on my porch.

A: Outdoor parties are the easiest to decorate for, since you can use the natural scenery as inexpensive props. Why not string small shrubs with little Tivoli lights? You can hang tinfoil stars or icicles from tree branches. Or make a cheerful centerpiece from apples, candy canes and sprigs of green from your tree or wreath.

No comments: