Thursday, October 30, 2008

Multi-billion dollar omega 3 fatty acid may be produced from local seaweed - 1


Good morning every body! I’m taking my daily morning routine after I woke up. I’m taking my breakfast and at the same time, I’m reading a newspaper. I stucked my eyes on the articles I saw there and I thought I should also share it with you all.

The locally abundant brown seaweed is being developed to become a source of omega 3 fatty acid which has a multi-billion dollar demand in the world market. As brown seaweeds have a carotenoid call fucoxanthin which produces omega 3 fatty acid, the Marine Science Institute-University of the Philippines (MSI-UP) is pursuing the enhancement of omega 3 fatty acid content in fish through feeding of fucoxanthin from brown seaweeds.

What we’re trying to do is to find out if it (omega 3 enhancement through fucoxanthin feeding) works on fish. If that’s so, when you eat fish, you won’t anymore have to add omega 3 to the fish. Brown seaweed can be a very cheap source of omega3-producing fucoxanthin specially if this is produce d from the Philippines since the country has many sea waters as land occupies “only 11 percent of the Philippines.” Moreover, omega 3 has a big market.

This has a $99 billion demands. In Europe, they’re trying to look for feeds containing omega 3. What they do in Europe is they add omega 3 to fish (through feeds).

The Philippines is believed to have the huge potential for a global leadership position on drug and good supplment development with its being recognized as having the world’s richest marine biodiversity.

2 comments:

leyah_30 said...

oh! its really nice to know that seaweeds produces omega fatty acid. good for us mostly filipinos so it wont be hard for us to produce those.

Vic4ever said...

Hi ! How are you ?
Omega-3 is good for infants and babys to develop their intelligence!
I have to change my internet service provider to be able to comment in your blog !