Thursday, January 1, 2009

I am Filipino - 1

Good morning everyone. When you are being called a Pilipino, you must be something. We Pilipinos are very friendly and hospitable. Sometimes that our attitudes were misunderstood by someone. But we know ourselves better more than anyone else. All I can say now is I’m proud to be a Pilipino.
One of the most important things we need today as a people is a beautiful way of looking at ourselves as Filipinos, a positive and healthy image of ourselves, a wonderful definition of ourselves as a people. Our children especially need to believe that there is greatness and beauty in us as a people and as a race.
So much beauty and greatness can spring from a beautiful mind and a faithful heart.
But loving ourselves as Filipinos is not only patriotism or nationalism. There is a reason higher than that. It is primarily about stewardship. It is loving what God has given us. God gave to each one of us the Filipino and the Philippines, for us to love and care for. But how is the Filipino in our hands today? How is the Philippines, the land God gave to us as a people, in our hands today?
It is for this reason that I wrote the poem below. I give this poem as my humble gift to all of you, my fellow Filipinos. You are the brothers and sisters, the family of people, God gave to me.
It is my hope that this poem will help develop in us and in our children a healthy sense of faith and love in the Filipino, in ourselves as a people. For truly, our Creator wants us to have faith in and love for the Filipino.
ref: dailyinquirer

No comments: