Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A diamond for the youth - 1

There are so many things that we want to see happen in our lives. Each one of us has hopes and dreams unique to our values, personalities and sensibilities. I, especially with my inconceivably hyperactive imagination and creativity, have a rather lofty list of what I’d like to achieve in due time. And now that I’m not getting any younger, I feel the intensity of my desires to reach my dreams. I always thought that I had been treading on the right path; that I knew precisely what I was heading for, but then I’d encounter dead ends and detours that say I have misread the signs.

The youth will always have excuses for mistakes; age easily enables a turn-around. But sometimes, before you know it, you might be back in the same spot, minus your youth that makes it harder to turn around and get back to driving down that highway again.

Changing a man is harder than building a child. I thought that I could easily influence everyone, for I had always been the assertive leader in school, somewhat making me believe that I can always get things my way. But I realize that no one can move you with just words. And that those closest to me, especially my loved ones, are the hardest to move. Our familiarity with one another does not allow room for us to easily understand or accept what the other is suggesting. For instance, bad attitudes and annoying vices that your boyfriend might have may not be that easy to break. He’d think that you’re intruding into his life too much, and it only causes tension in the relationship. So, I guess that the only way to react to these kinds of problems—when those that you care for seem to be too impossible—is to just change yourself.

Yes, instead of aspiring to change the other person, why not concentrate on yourself first since your own self is the only territory that you can have dominion over? Perhaps if you do not become too consumed in making the other into your perception of “better,” then things might naturally change and they’ll begin to see your efforts for what they’re worth. Giving up on another person is also a way of not giving up on him.

ref: inquirer.net

No comments: